Whittington Consulting, a digital agency based in Richmond, Virginia, is looking for a full time, local or remote web developer to develop websites on Wordpress and HubSpot COS. Read more about the position below.
Web Developers are skilled technical practitioners that help bring our client websites to life. Our developers work closely with our website designers and strategists to create a rich interactive experience for end users and our customers. Duties include coding full-functioning websites on several platforms including HubSpot and Wordpress.
Web Developers are involved in all phases of a project, from gathering technical requirements, collaborating with Web Designers, coding and testing interfaces, and launching websites. Web Developers provide technical and feasibility input during the design phase of a project, and work with Web Designers post-design to code Photoshop mockups utilizing HTML, CSS and jquery.
Web Developers also provide support to our clients by helping maintain client websites, including functional enhancements, bug troubleshooting, software updates and website moves.
- Create fully functional websites based on key page design mockups using HTML, CSS, jQuery and other technologies
- Gather and document technical requirements for website projects or enhancements
- Discuss technical requirements and how features should be designed with Web Designers
- Meet with Web Designers to discuss visual interfaces and decide how they should be developed to be in agreement with Web Designer direction and client requirements
- Code fully responsive website layouts
- Conduct browser/OS testing (IE 9+, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Mac and PC) and mobile device testing; make modifications to code based on findings
- Conduct functional testing of coded functionality to ensure proper function
- Incorporate SEO best practices in web code
- Develop websites on Wordpress and HubSpot COS platforms
- Perform Wordpress core and plugin upgrades on client websites monthly
- Assist with migration of client website content from Word or an existing website to the new website platform
- Set up new client development and production accounts on our client web server using Cpanel, including creating databases, FTP accounts, uploading files
- Change client domain A records when websites are ready to go live
- Perform post-launch testing on newly-launched websites to ensure proper function
- Help train clients on the content management system once a website has been built
- Provide ongoing website maintenance requests from current clients
- Handle ongoing communication with managed web hosting provider in order to properly maintain websites
- Provide ongoing web development support to marketing team members
- Provide input during client review and approval process for web projects
- Create 301 redirects in server .htaccess file before each website relaunch
- Follow server file storage and naming conventions and keep design files organized by client account
- Participate in daily “stand-up” meetings to discuss and log development-related requests in the project management system
- Keep project team updated on status, deadlines and issues that arise during the web development process
- Keep up to date with the latest web development technologies and techniques in order to discuss them for inclusion within our website projects
- Drive consistent web development standards and approaches throughout the team
- Support business team with pre-sale activities, including determining level of effort for web development, testing and launch in client/prospect quotations and proposals
- Maintain Inbound, HubSpot and HubSpot Design certifications
- BS/BA degree in information technology or related field
- At least 2 years of experience developing highly-functional websites in Wordpress from scratch
- Development experience on HubSpot COS is preferred but not required
- At least 1 year of experience in an agency setting is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Critical problem solving skills — can solve problems independently and quickly and can troubleshoot code
- Advanced knowledge of HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery
- At least 2 years experience with Adobe Creative Suite or Creative Cloud — specifically Photoshop (we design all website mockups in Photoshop)
- At least 1 year experience with CPanel on a Linux hosting environment
- Reliable, flexible and cooperative
- Diplomatic and tactful
- Personable and approachable, with an enthusiastic and motivational nature and an overall passion for excellence
- Analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to stay organized in a dynamic work environment while working on projects of varying complexity
- Alignment with Whittington Consulting’s core values
- Humility, drive, and a strong desire to learn and grow professionally
30 & 60 Day Expectations for this role
- 30 Days – Inbound Certification complete, contributing to client projects
- 60 Days – Full knowledge of the Whittington Consulting web development process and able to successfully complete all requirements of the position
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage
We pay 100% of your premiums.
- Free downtown parking
Comes in handy for work or weekends out on the town, too.
- Paid time off and flexible work environment
Vacation and sick time, and work from home occasionally.
- Open door policy and respect
We value constructive communication, ideas and let employees do what’s needed to get their jobs done well.
At Whittington Consulting, we provide digital marketing services; we use website optimization and inbound marketing to help companies earn thought leadership online and win new business.
Show us your development expertise by sending your resume, cover letter and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Web Developer.”